Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer1791
Reel Rookie

Unable to "see" Roku 4K Stick from iPhone 13 Pro Max for Airplay or Roku App

Jump to solution

recently got the Roku 4K Stick. I have it setup to use my iPhone hotspot without any issues. That is, the Roku has no issue connecting to my hotspot, and I can stream to my heart's content. However, I can not 'see' it from my iPhone. Yes, Airplay is turned on. It just is never listed on the iPhone, yet they are both inherently on the same Wifi (since the Roku is connecting to my phone's wifi to stream). 

I can connect the stick to my "Home" for a single session, then it disappears forever, until the stick is reset.

I have tried the few suggestions here and on Reddit, but nothing has helped. Additionally, my Roku only prompted me once if a connection was 'at home' or 'at a dorm or hotel'. Resetting the network, AND resetting the stick to factory does not change that. So, I know empirically the "reset to factory" is not actually back to factory! 

Roku 3820X Streaming Stick 4K, 12.0.0 build 4184-U

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16.4.1

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to "see" Roku 4K Stick from iPhone 13 Pro Max for Airplay or Roku App

Jump to solution

@Streamer1791 wrote:

So how do I stream/airplay to the Roku when at a hotel, since that is not 'private' network?

You can't.

Now that I've said that, there actually is a couple of ways but it's a bit geeky and don't always work. If the hotel room offers a wired Internet connection, you can connect any simple router and create your own private WiFi network. However, almost all hotels are now WiFi only, so that option isn't available. But there are still ways to make a private network on a hotel connection.

One is to use a travel router, and place it in "bridge" mode. This way the router connects to the hotel via WiFi and provides a private WiFi network that you control. I had one for years, and while it usually worked there were times I simply could not get it to connect to the hotel network. Also, it's a bit techy to get it connected, and honestly might not be something the average user can configure. 

There's one other option, and this is assuming you have a Windows laptop with you. You can connect the laptop WiFi to the hotel, take care of the authentication, then connect a router or access point to the Ethernet jack of the laptop and "share" the WiFi connection across the Ethernet connection. The Windows computer acts as a router and hides your internal connection from the hotel connection. Again, this is a bit geeky, but I used it successfully in a hotel I was staying at long term. All my internal devices (two Roku players, a smart TV, two laptops and two cell phones) were all connected, but all the hotel ever saw was the single Windows PC. And because it was a private network, things like screen mirroring or using the Roku app worked just fine. 

As you can tell, all options will require additional hardware. There is simply no way to use AirPlay or the Roku app when directly connected to a public network like a hotel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092

Re: Unable to "see" Roku 4K Stick from iPhone 13 Pro Max for Airplay or Roku App

Jump to solution

When the phone is being used as a hotspot, it generally won't work as a control device on the network. This is usually due to security settings that make connected devices hidden from other devices. To use something like Air Play or the Roku phone app, both devices need to be connected to the same private network that does not have any security enabled to block connected devices from seeing each other. 

This isn't something that can be "fixed" by Roku. This is simply the way the hotspot works on most phones. I don't have an iPhone 13, but on my iPhone 11 and my XR there are no settings that would disable this security function. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Streamer1791
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So how do I stream/airplay to the Roku when at a hotel, since that is not 'private' network?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Streamer1791 wrote:

You can't.

Now that I've said that, there actually is a couple of ways but it's a bit geeky and don't always work. If the hotel room offers a wired Internet connection, you can connect any simple router and create your own private WiFi network. However, almost all hotels are now WiFi only, so that option isn't available. But there are still ways to make a private network on a hotel connection.

One is to use a travel router, and place it in "bridge" mode. This way the router connects to the hotel via WiFi and provides a private WiFi network that you control. I had one for years, and while it usually worked there were times I simply could not get it to connect to the hotel network. Also, it's a bit techy to get it connected, and honestly might not be something the average user can configure. 

There's one other option, and this is assuming you have a Windows laptop with you. You can connect the laptop WiFi to the hotel, take care of the authentication, then connect a router or access point to the Ethernet jack of the laptop and "share" the WiFi connection across the Ethernet connection. The Windows computer acts as a router and hides your internal connection from the hotel connection. Again, this is a bit geeky, but I used it successfully in a hotel I was staying at long term. All my internal devices (two Roku players, a smart TV, two laptops and two cell phones) were all connected, but all the hotel ever saw was the single Windows PC. And because it was a private network, things like screen mirroring or using the Roku app worked just fine. 

As you can tell, all options will require additional hardware. There is simply no way to use AirPlay or the Roku app when directly connected to a public network like a hotel. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Streamer1791
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I see. I guess I will be returning the Roku as 'broken' as none of these limitations are contained in the advertisements.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Those limitations will apply to any streaming player. It's not just Roku. And those sort of WiFi networks all have a security function that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. And trust me, you want that security enabled. You don't want any other random network users to be able to see your devices and potentially attempt some sort of attack. 

So no, the Roku isn't "broken", and you wouldn't be able to do what you asked with any other device. 

Dan

manniac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's not true at all.
There are enough devices that can, among other things, open their own secure WiFi network and that you can also use to stream in a hotel, for example.
Roku sticks, on the other hand, only works with an internet connection and are useless without internet.
So the best thing is to return the stick. I did that too after I was disappointed with Roku.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m a little late to the discussion but I recently went on a cruise with NCL & was able to use Roku + cast from my devices using the following method. Samsung phones (and other Androids depending on manufacturers) can share Wi-Fi connections by creating its own hotspot Wi-Fi network, so I brought my old phone just to do this (beats carrying a laptop and/or router). This is basically a hybrid repeater/bridge + access point mode.

I paid for one device to do premium onboard (at-sea) Wi-Fi streaming, then shared its connection with my entire family’s iPhones & Roku (plugged into HDMI port of cruise ship TV). Plus when I leave the room, I can take the phone with me essentially bringing my own personal Wi-Fi network with me all around the ship.

The limitation you face not being able to Cast or Airplay to the Roku device from your phone (while Roku is connected to your hotspot), is an Apple restriction. Apple does not allow devices connected to an iPhone hotspot network to communicate with each other (similar to guest or isolation mode on routers).

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.